Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Spinning Self-Striping Yarn

Another blog update, two days in a row? Yes, it's possible :)

In the process of going through old photos, I found another experimental project I did with spinning for self-striping yarn.  I should have kept a written record of what I did so I have better information to share.  But it's hard, you know?  I was so excited to get my hands on this project and I just went for it.  Note to self: write. it. down.  Anyway, here's what I remembered.

I selected three different carded batts by Fiber Monster (that's me!) and rolled them widthwise.  I had two sets of them in the same order.  One set was for bobbin #1.  Another set was for bobbin #2.  My plan was to spin each set starting from the same end so that I got the same color sequence on both bobbins.


Top to bottom: Grasshopper, Jewel, and Happy Valley


Pre-drafted into balls.  Ready for spinning bobbin #1

When you pre-draft and spin the fiber, make sure you start with the same color sequence for both sets of fiber.  In this case, I started with blue, yellow, and green.  I did the regular 2-ply and the colors were mostly matched.  Occasionally there was a barber pole section but it was fine with me.  I like a little bit of color transitioning.  If the barber pole was too long and you don't like the contrast, just break the single and find the match to rejoin.


Smooth two-ply, DK weight


Don't know how many yards.  Approximately 6 oz total


Love the color transitions!


Knitted from the top down in one piece.  No seaming :)

It took me a long time to find the pattern I liked to knit with this self-striping handspun yarn.  I basically looked for the pattern that is knit-in-one-piece, in the round with circular needle.  Then I came across Tivoli T-Shirt by grumperina, which I kept in my pattern binder before I even know how to spin!  I just checked her website hoping to make a link but I could only find the picture of it.   The link itself is broken.  If you are interested, you can try it on ravelry or go to http://www.grumperina.com and contact her directly for current information.

There are lots of instruction out there for spinning self-striping yarn.  And I would love to hear your thoughts on the techniques you like.  Most of all, it's FUN!!!

Happy spinning/knitting to you all.

1 comment:

  1. My first thought is "Oooooh, pretty". But then again, I love your colors and for an educated woman with a decent sized vocabulary I am regularly reduced to "Oh, Ooooh, and pretty"

    I liked the information on self striping with spinning. I was thinking of doing some striping with spinning and was going to try to plan it so that it worked out plying the ends to the middle as I usually do but now, I think I will instead use separate bobbins. Might be more successful that way. I also only have two different rovings planned. I think I might add one or two more colors to the mix (pink and green so far)...

    Thanks again for your wonderful colors. I will be posting some new Ruby pics soon.

    ReplyDelete